New Education Policy 2020
NEW EDUCATION POLICY 2020 IN INDIA
Indian Government/Union Cabinet approved a new education policy 2020 (5+3+3+4) which was a very big move in the Indian education system. They change the name of the HRD ministry (Human Resource and Development ) like the Ministry of Education.
Higher Education Commission of India (HECI) will be set up as a single overarching umbrella body for the entire higher education (excluding medical and legal education). This Higher Education Commission of India to have four independent verticals. Those are
1) National Higher Education Regulatory Council (NHERC) - for regulation
2) General Education Council (GEC) - for standard-setting
3) Higher Education Grants Council (HEGC) - for funding, and
4) National Accreditation Council (NAC) - for accreditation
New Education Policy 2020 key points as follows
1. 10+2 board structure is dropped.
2. The new school structure will be 5+3+3+4.
3. Up to 5 Anganwadis/Preschools, 6 to 8 Mid School, 8 to 11 High School, 12 onwards Graduation.
4. Any Degree will be 3-4 years. (Minimum Qualification degree for Teaching will be a 4-year integrated B.Ed, degree by 2030)
5. 6th standard onwards vocational courses available (which will give the option to the student to go technical side and to choose only one area of interest/ previously student has to study minimum up to 10th class)
6. From 8th to 11th students can choose subjects according to their choice.
7. All graduation course will have major and minor
Example - science students can have Physics as Major and Music as minor also. Any combination he can choose
8. All higher education will be governed by only one authority.
9. University Grads Commission (UGC) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) will be merged.
10. All University government, private, Open, Deemed, Vocational, etc will have the same grading and other rules.
11. New Teacher Training board will be set up for all kinds of teachers in the country, no state can change.
12. The same level of Accreditation to any collage, based on its rating college will get autonomous rights and funds.
13. The new Basic learning program will be created by the government for parents to teach children up to 3 years at home and for preschool 3 to 6.
14. Multiple entries and exit from any course.
15. A credit system for graduation for each year student will get some credits that he can utilize if he takes a break in the course and comes back again to complete the course.
16. All school exams will be semester wise twice a year.
17. The syllabus will be reduced to core knowledge of any subject only.
18. More focus on student practical and application knowledge.
19. For any graduation course "if the student completes only one year he will get a basic certificate, if he completes two years then he will get a Diploma certificate and if he completes the full course then he will get a degree certificate". So no year of any student will be wasted if he breaks the course in between.
20. All the graduation course feed of all Universities will be governed by the single authority with capping on each course.
21. Innovative Pedagogy to be designed/explored such as experiential teaching/learning methods.
22. Vocational Education - from primary grades and ten days no bag days - an internship with local bodies (trades/craftspersons) for grades 6 to 8.